Who is Holiday
A pioneer then, a leader now
When Holiday Retirement was founded in 1971, it set out to create an independent living lifestyle unlike anything seniors had ever experienced before: cheerful communities filled with friendly, accepting neighbors, attentive staff dedicated to the happiness and well-being of each resident, innovative activities and programs for fun and personal growth, and all the chores and details of daily life taken care of.
The Holiday Touch
There’s just something very special about life at Holiday that makes it unlike any other place on earth. It’s the warm, accepting community of neighbors who feel more like family. It’s the devoted staff who see this as more of a calling than a job, providing unrivaled service, compassion and care. And it’s the unique feeling of being right where you belong, a feeling of being at home. We call it The Holiday Touch, and it’s what makes life at Holiday Retirement so special.
And making Holiday Retirement even more revolutionary is having all of the many benefits available in one affordable, all-inclusive monthly rent. No hidden costs. No long-term commitments. Holiday residents are free to focus on living the life they’ve always wanted. And isn’t that what retirement should be?
We are in the business of providing security, comfort and value to seniors seeking an active and fulfilling lifestyle. We provide The Holiday Touch.
Holiday Retirement was founded by William E. Colson, often recognized as the father of Independent Retirement Living, with his father Hugh Colson in 1971. At the time, William was operating Colson & Colson construction, specializing in building high-level care facilities for seniors – referred to as “nursing homes”. William and his father realized that while seniors were benefiting from the quality care they received in these facilities, they could be benefiting even more from a nurturing, community environment that met seniors’ other needs: social, physical, educational and spiritual, at an affordable, all-inclusive monthly rate. They opened their first independent retirement community in Vancouver, Washington in 1971. Today there are more than 260 Holiday Retirement senior living communities across the United States, and tens of thousands of seniors are enjoying the one-of-a-kind lifestyle only Holiday can provide. Although we have grown in size, we remain true to the core values instilled by William E. Colson, and are as committed now as he was then to improving the lives of seniors.
- William E. Colson and his father Hugh Colson found Holiday Management Company. First community, Kamlu Retirement Inn-Vancouver opens in Vancouver, Wash. on Nov. 1.
- Edgewood Downs in Beaverton, Oregon opens on June 1 and is Holiday Management Company’s second community.
- Harrison Regent in Ogden, Utah opens on July 1, 1985 and begins Holiday Management Company’s expansion east. The company’s first nine communities were exclusively located in the western region of the U.S. (Washington, Oregon, California, and Idaho). Communities are also opened in Colorado (Pueblo and Colorado Springs), and Texas (Amarillo).
- Holiday Management Company changes name to Holiday Retirement Corp. and opens first Canadian community, The Victorian in Victoria, British Columbia, on August 1, 1987.
- Holiday Retirement adds at least two communities to the portfolio every year.
- Holiday Retirement experiences record growth by adding 44 total communities.
- William E. Colson sells Holiday Retirement to Fortress Investment Group LLC of New York. Colson passes away from colon cancer on May 20, 2007.
- Seniors serving Seniors program wins “Most Innovative” program award by the International Council on Active Aging (ICAA).
- Holiday Retirement makes $82,500 donation to American Cancer Society.
- Three seniors win free rent for life through Holiday Retirement’s national Swing into Spring promotion.
- Holiday Retirement donates $1.2 million to Outward Bound for Veterans and $61,000 contribution to Outward Bound Canada, Veterans Program in March. Holiday Retirement adds first community since 2009, acquiring The Chateau in McKinney, Texas on July 1.
- Holiday's headquarters relocates from Salem, Oregon to Lake Oswego, Oregon on April 16, 2012. Holiday Retirement acquires three Independent Living communities.
- Holiday expands its management of assisted living and memory care communities.
- Holiday Retirement website named best senior living website by SeniorHomes.
- Holiday Retirement’s e-book “100 years of wisdom”, a survey on the perspective of centenarians, is published and is subsequently awarded a Bronze Anvil Award in 2015.
- "Bedtime Stories", a children's book written and illustrated by residents and associates of Holiday Retirement communities is published.
- Lilly Donohue joins the Holiday Retirement team as CEO.
- Corporate Office transitions from Lake Oswego, Oregon to Winter Park, Florida.
- Dr. Bill Thomas joins the Holiday Retirement team as Chief Wellness Officer.
Carefree senior living
Ready to discover what Life at Holiday is really like? Find a community and start today!